Independence University has permanently closed.
Independence University has had to make the very difficult decision to close its doors.
Our deepest appreciation goes out to our externships sites, our business partners, and the education community that supported us over the years. We could not have accomplished our goal of improving lives through education without you.
To our faculty, staff and CEHE family – thank you for your loyalty and your commitment to putting student success above all else.
And to our thousands of students and graduates – you are the beacon of light that will change the world. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for letting us be part of your life’s journey. We wish you the best of luck in all you do.
Student Loan Discharge Information
Important notice if you have a Federal student loan:
You may be eligible for a 100 percent discharge of your William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, or Federal Perkins Loans if you were unable to complete your program because your school closed, and if
- you were enrolled when your school closed;
- you were on an approved leave of absence when your school closed;
- your school closed within 120 days after you withdrew, if your loans were first disbursed before July 1, 2020; or
- your school closed within 180 days after you withdrew, if your loans were first disbursed on or after July 1, 2020.
You are not eligible for discharge of your loans if your school closes and any of the following is true:
- Except in exceptional circumstances, you withdrew more than 120 days before the school closed, if your loans were first disbursed before July 1, 2020; or
- Except in exceptional circumstances, you withdrew more than 180 days before the school closed, if your loans were first disbursed on or after July 1, 2020.
- You are completing a comparable educational program:
- through a teach-out,
- by transferring academic credits or hours earned at the closed school to another school, or
- by any other comparable means.
- You completed all the coursework for the program before the school closed, even if you did not receive a diploma or certificate.
For more information on Federal loan discharge, go to: https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/closed-school