Event Planning Degree: Here’s What You Need to Know
Are you considering a career in event planning? Event planning is a popular, sought-after job that offers plenty of perks and benefits. Whether you’re already in school pursuing a degree in event planning or are planning to do so, this article will give you a better idea of what you can expect as a professional event planner.
How to Know If It’s Right for You
As with most jobs, event planning is not for everyone, especially not the fainthearted. Here are 10 top traits every successful event manager should embody:
- Interpersonal skills—Events are all about meeting and interacting with people, so strong people skills are a must.
- Creativity—The best event planners are those who can execute a client’s wants and needs in a creative way.
- Tech savvy—Event management software can make your job easier, and various mobile apps can help you prioritize responsibilities.
- Flexibility—When collaborating with numerous people, you must be flexible and be able to change courses swiftly.
- Organizational skills—As an event planner, you’ll direct a slew of different elements to work together to pull off the event. Being organized is critical!
- Eye for detail—Even the smallest details can make a big difference when putting on an event. Are you good at paying attention to small details?
- Leadership skills—Having an inherent ability to lead will get you far in the event management industry.
- Enthusiasm—If you don’t show passion for your job, no one will seek you out to host their event. Love what you do, and let it show!
- Time-management skills—Being timely can make or break your career in event planning. Know how to make the best use of your time by delegating and multitasking.
- Memorable persona—Make a positive, lasting impact on clients and guests, and you’ll find yourself booked solid with future events.
Get the Right Degree
Whether you have your diploma, your GED® test credential, or a few college credits, pursuing your degree in event planning is simple and rewarding. Independence University offers students training in the skills and knowledge they’ll need to be successful in the popular event-planning industry. With an online Associate of Applied Science degree in Business Management and Accounting with an Event Planning Emphasis, students will receive training in:
- Meeting planning
- Event logistics
- Professional development
- Computerized accounting
- Business law
- Income tax
When combined with a passion for organizing, planning, and executing events, these skills could give students a leg up in a competitive industry.
Strong Growth Outlook
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, careers in event planning are expected to grow by 10 percent over the next 10 years, which is faster than the average across all careers. Businesses of all sizes need event planners to help with conventions, trade shows, and meetings.
With the right personality traits and a drive for success, you can start your journey toward event planning today.
Independence University admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.
GED® is a registered trademark of the American Council on Education (ACE) and is administered exclusively by GED Testing Service, LLC under license. This material is not endorsed or approved by ACE or GED Testing Service.
For graduation rates, the median debt of graduates, and other data, see independence.edu/student-information.