What's the FAFSA?
Your gateway to federal financial aid
More than half of all college students receive federal financial aid. The FAFSA (or Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is an official government form that determines how much federal financial aid you may be eligible for.
How do I apply?
Five Easy Steps to Qualify for Federal Financial Aid
1. Apply with the FAFSA
You can complete the form at fafsa.ed.gov. Or you can get a paper form from your local library or by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).
2. Keep a copy of your application
Make (or print out) a copy of your application and save all other records as well, in case there’s a need to verify the information you reported.
3. Verify your information on your Student Aid Report (SAR)
Depending on what method you used to fill out your FAFSA, your Student Aid Report will be mailed to you or provided electronically. This report confirms the information you reported and states your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
4. Contact us
Talk with a financial aid advisor at IU about the amount you qualify for. We’ll also find you other potential sources of financial aid.
What INFO Will I Need To Provide?
YOUR FAFSA APPLICATION Checklist
- Your Social Security number
- Your previous year’s federal income tax return
- Your spouse's tax return if you are married and filing separately
- Your W-2 forms or other records showing income from the previous tax year
- Your parents’ previous year’s federal income tax return if you’re a dependent
- Your foreign tax returns or tax returns from Puerto Rico (if applicable)
- Your previous year's untaxed income records, including: Social Security, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, welfare, or veterans’ benefits records (if applicable)
- Your alien registration card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
Helpful FAFSA Hints
SOME EXTRA HELP ON YOUR FAFSA APPLICATION
- Complete your paperwork carefully and completely
- Pay close attention to deadline dates
- Answer any letters or email you receive right away to avoid missing deadlines
- Keep copies of everything relating to your application
- Reapply for financial aid by the deadline each year to maintain eligibility
- If you want IU to put together a financial aid plan for you, enter IU's school code (003674) on your FAFSA form
If you have any questions, contact us at (800) 917-6391.